Zikaron Basalon – זיכרון בסלון
At the JCRC of Greater Washington our work of remembrance, education, and advocacy for Holocaust survivors is a year-round commitment. Zikaron Basalon, literally meaning “remembrance in the living room”, offers a new, meaningful and intimate way to commemorate the Holocaust and address its implications through discussions at home among family, friends, colleagues and guests.
This year, Israeli Holocaust Memorial Day falls on Tuesday, April 21st, 2020.
Between Saturday, April 18th, 2020 and Thursday, April 23rd, 2020, we invite community members in the DMV area to host a Zikaron Basalon event, with the guidance and support of the JCRC.
Become a host! A typical Zikaron Basalon event lasts between 1-2 hours. Responsibilities include:
- Inviting family, friends, colleagues (usually 10-40)
- Providing beverages. Additional food welcome, but not required
- Connecting with your speaker prior to the event
- Decide if your event is private or open for JCRC to invite the public to join
- Optional: Lead a discussion in conjunction with your guest speaker.
• Connect speakers and hosts
• Provide guidance and logistical assistance to hosts and speakers